[darcs-users] Re: Newbie questions

Ketil Malde ketil at ii.uib.no
Mon Feb 14 08:25:55 UTC 2005

Mark Stosberg <mark at summersault.com> writes:

>> 1. Subversion allows you to check out a working copy that is a subtree
>> of the full repository.  It seems that this is not supported in darcs.
>> Is this correct?

Yes.  Figuring out what to put in which repos is a minor headache in
darcs, IMHO. Going back isn't always so easy; I'd like to extract e.g
the Fast Packed String support from darcs, but I think splitting out
this as a separate project from darcs at this stage would be rather
painful.

> I believe darcs allows you to have darcs repos within other darcs repos,
> which is similar to what you want, but not the same thing.

Having a separately-controlled subdirectory is nothing special, and
something I do all the time.  E.g. for my LaTeX projects, I often
share a global BibTeX file by adding it in a subdirectory.  This way,
it's easy to push back updates and additions for later use.

-kzm