[darcs-users] Segfaults on Solaris 8/SPARC darcs 1.0.2

Anders Höckersten chucky at dtek.chalmers.se
Mon Feb 14 19:59:30 UTC 2005

Jason Dagit wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, [ISO-8859-1] Anders Höckersten wrote:
>
>> Jason,
>>
>> I have managed to correctly build and run Darcs on Sparc/Solaris 9
>> with those LDFLAGS, and no other special flags. Have you tested that
>> you GHC generates valid code? Also, which version of gcc is used on
>> your system (I use gcc 2.95.3). I think I remember reading that
>> several of the GCC versions > 3 generate invalid code when used with
>> GHC on sparc/solaris.
>

> I'm using gcc 3.2 iirc.  I know it's > 3 for sure.  I think GHC is
> working correctly as several of the researchers here use it.

I just tried compiling darcs with gcc 3.2 since I had that available. It
worked. Your error may still be a broken ghc, but it seems unlikely.

Just wondering, are you using the Solaris or GNU ld? Shouldn't make a
difference, but I've noticed that sometimes that can be the problem when
compiling programs for Solaris. It might be worth trying anyway.

>> I could send you a binary of darcs for sparc/solaris 9 (only version
>> 1.0.1 though, the machine I use to build sparc/solaris things on is
>> acting up right now) if you'd like to try it?
>

> Let me try compiling with an older version of gcc first.  If that
> still fails I may contact you.  I found we have a redhat server and I
> was able to get a darcs runnig there.  But that's suboptimal due to
> the hackery needed to change my homedir if I use darcs from that machine.
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

I should mention I have a binary of darcs 1.0.2 for Solaris now, since
it seems the installation server is more cooperative now. :)

Cheers,
Anders