[darcs-users] Newbie questions

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.jussieu.fr
Mon Feb 14 23:17:47 UTC 2005

>> I would give a lot for a --recursive option on pull/push/whatsnew

(How much?)

Good idea.  Please file a feature request on <bugs at darcs.net>, someone
might feel inspired to implement that.

>> as well as on 'get'.

That's more tricky -- you don't want a get on a remote repository to
take a lot of time scanning through the remote hierarchy, or to
require directory listings to be enabled on the remote server.

You might also want to have a look at the thread starting with

  http://www.abridgegame.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2004-October/003492.html

and the end of

  http://www.abridgegame.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2004-October/003503.html

which discussed that sort of issues.

> It seems that the script you posted goes up the directory tree until
> it gets to a darcs root and then checks out a new copy of what you
> have on the server?

All Darcs commands that work on a local repository search for the
repository root (if any doesn't, it's a bug).  Get doesn't work in a
local repository (it creates a local repository), so it doesn't do that.

> If you have nested darcs repositories, and change something in the
> lower level, you'd have to record basically the same patch at both
> levels, right?

No, Darcs sees your tree as a partition (disjoint union) of the
repositories.  So if you have repos /home/jch/A and /home/jch/A/B, a
file /home/jch/A/B/foo belongs to B but is ignored when operating on A.

> Is knowledge of darcs' current behavior for nested repositories
> collected anywhere?

That's a somewhat embarrassing question.  Could we perhaps speak about
the weather instead?

                                        Juliusz