[darcs-users] Newbie questions, Nested Repositories

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Tue Feb 15 13:27:00 UTC 2005

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 05:33:41PM -0600, Andrew Wagner wrote:
> On Feb 14, 2005, at 5:17 PM, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> >>If you have nested darcs repositories, and change something in the
> >>lower level, you'd have to record basically the same patch at both
> >>levels, right?
> >
> >No, Darcs sees your tree as a partition (disjoint union) of the
> >repositories.  So if you have repos /home/jch/A and /home/jch/A/B, a
> >file /home/jch/A/B/foo belongs to B but is ignored when operating on A.
>
> Ah.  If I already have repos /home/jch/A/B, can I safely create a repos
> /home/jch/A around the existing repository?  Does darcs basically treat
> any directory containing a _darcs subdirectory as boring?

Yes and no, to the two questions.  Nested repositories are fine, but darcs
doesn't treat directories containing a _darcs subdirectory as
boring--although that's not a bad idea.  So if you create nested
repositories, you probably don't want to use --look-for-adds.  I never use
--look-for-adds anyways, so for me it's a non-issue.
http://www.darcs.net