[darcs-users] [OT] Larry McVoy on the Bitkeeper licence

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Wed Feb 16 16:39:24 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-16 09:09:02 -0500, David Roundy <droundy at abridgegame.org>
wrote in message <20050216140902.GF20246 at abridgegame.org>:
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 12:04:31PM +0800, Nimrod A. Abing wrote:
> > Does darcs use a similar way of tracking patches? Are there any limits
> > to how many patches you can record in a repository? I tend to make
> > several small commits while working and I eventually end up making up
> > to 40~50 small commits a day on one of my bigger projects.
>
> No, we're fine--except that there are times when we hold the entire history
> of changeset metadata (not the contents, just the names, logs and dates) in
> memory, so you'll start running into trouble when that starts approaching a
> GB.  On the other hand, perhaps by then you'll be running on 128 bit
> computers...

But admittedly, there *are* some problems connected to hugh numbers of
changesets. Ie. try to pull some 5000 patches at once or a 'darcs
annotate some/file.ext', which may run out of stack... (Both can be
reproduced using the "linux" repository.)

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw       jbglaw at lug-owl.de    . +49-172-7608481             _ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg  _ _ O