[darcs-users] Re: darcs, lost in space

Tuomo Valkonen tuomov at jolt.modeemi.cs.tut.fi
Fri Feb 18 05:56:11 UTC 2005

On 2005-02-18, Mark Stosberg <mark at summersault.com> wrote:
> On 2005-02-17, Tuomo Valkonen <tuomov at jolt.modeemi.cs.tut.fi> wrote:
>> I've also recently noticed darcs occasionally seeming hung on rather
>> small repositories. Currently I have 1.0.2, it might have been in
>> 1.0.1 already, but I didn't notice anything of the kind before 1.0
>> at least. Once it had already completed the push when I pressed ^C
>> to stop the seemingly hung process.
>
> I have used 1.0 and 1.0.1 daily without these kinds of problems.
>
> If you started seeing more problems, it's probably because your work got
> more complex, not because darcs had a new release. I'm managing a
> project with over 40,000 lines of code and 4 developers, and we have
> very problems...in fact we are noticeably happier than the days of CVS
> that we still remember.

The patches are actually quite simple: adding a new file and a few lines to
an index.html describing that file; http://iki.fi/tuomov/repos/ion-scripts-3.

On the other hand, I recently converted the main Ion repository from svn to
darcs. I had to recreate all the "tags" and "branches" with loads adhoc
scripting and some manual intervention (and thanks to getting around and
managing to do this I will probably switch to darcs at some point).
(Subversion really sucks in this respect. Tags and branches as copies is
actually a very bad approach when you can't access a particular revision on
a branch/tag if the copy didn't exist at that time.) This tag conversion
included some pulling and I noticed no such problems (~1500 patches, 50k+
lines). But, infact, I've only noticed the problem during push, never pull.

--
Tuomo