[darcs-users] darcs, lost in space

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Fri Feb 18 12:51:57 UTC 2005

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 03:57:46PM +0100, Vigor van Ort wrote:
> I had created the repo on my local system, and then yesterday I copied
> it over to a server and used 'darcs get' to make a local copy through
> ssh.  Since then I made one or two small patches and successfully did
> a couple of 'darcs push' from my local copy.  So, I thought everything
> was working fine, and I have been learning my way around darcs
> command.
>
> Until today.  I just made another patch, and when I do 'darcs push',
> it goes away and never comes back.  The darcs process has racked up 15
> minutes of CPU time as of this writing on the remote server, and is
> going strong.  The patch is less then 3k and touches only a couple
> files.   I tried aborting the push and doing 'darcs check' and 'darcs
> optimize' on the server, but both return immediately saying there is
> nothing to do.
>
> Now, I don't want to shit on your program, but I have to wonder what
> could possibly take so long with such a small patch when there is only
> 1 developer and no conflicts!?

My guess would be that for some reason you do have conflicts (usually
behavior like this is caused by large-scale conflicts, which are
surprisingly easy to create).  (Or--less likely--as someone I think
suggested, it could be a failed ssh connection.)

Did you use unrecord or amend-record at any point?

Did you try the suggestion to do the push locally and see if it still
hangs?

Can we take a look at the two repositories to see what may be causing this?

What is the output of darcs whatsnew on the server? After running darcs
resolve on the server (only if whatsnew the first time shows no changes),
what does whatsnew show?
http://www.darcs.net