[darcs-users] Re: darcs diff

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Sat Feb 19 13:15:42 UTC 2005

On Saturday 19 February 2005 12:53, David Roundy wrote:
> > Even when only a single file is specified as an argument to diff?
> > Wow, that's a lot of spurious IO.
>
> I meant to correct this, but I guess I forgot.  diff doesn't actually
> diff the whole tree, but it makes two copies of the whole tree, and then
> runs diff (the external program) giving it the arguments you provide (in
> this case a single file).  So only one file gets diffed, but we do lots
> of extra IO.

Yeah; thats easy to see in a:
$ mkdir foo
$ cd foo
$ darcs init
$ darcs diff bar

diff: foo-old/bar: No such file or directory
diff: foo-new/bar: No such file or directory

Its a bit of a shame to see many things that should be easily fixable
waiting too long for attention from the not-big-enough pool of darcs
hackers..
--
Thomas Zander