[darcs-users] Do we want a 'put' command? (was: Re: "push" to create a new repository?)

Andrew Wagner awagner at uiuc.edu
Sat Feb 19 20:29:02 UTC 2005

Since darcs doesn't really support the "recursive" way of doing things
at the moment, I find myself creating and moving around a lot of
repositories indeed.  At least for me, it will be the difference
between the following sequences of thought/action:

<darcs put>

"hmmm I want to put this repository on my server.  Now what was the
command for putting a repository on a server?"
darcs --help
" yes, of course! put! "
darcs put awagner at foobar.uiuc.edu:newrepodir

<darcs get --put or darcs init --put>
"hmmm I want to put this repository on my server.  Now what was the
command for putting a repo on a server?
darcs --help
"Darn...  don't see a command, looks like I'll have to log into the
server and do a get from server side, or ftp the files by hand..."
ssh awagner at foobar.uiuc.edu
cd repodir
darcs get

or maybe if i'm clever...
"hmmm I want to put this repository on my server.  Now what was the
command for putting a repo on a server?
darcs --help
"Darn...  don't see a command for that...  this is open source command
line software; I wonder if they hid it as a parameter in some other
function"
darcs push --help
"Reading... Nope..."
darcs init --help
"Reading... Nope..."
darcs get --help
"Reading... Hmmm... Why the heck would "put" be a subcommand of get?
darcs get --put awagner at foobar.uiuc.edu:repodir

Still a bigger fan of a symmetric "darcs put" command instead of hiding
important functionality in a subcommand.