[darcs-users] Re: Do we want a 'put' command?

Benedikt Schmidt ry102 at rz.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sat Feb 19 21:37:25 UTC 2005

Andrew Wagner <awagner at uiuc.edu> writes:

> Since darcs doesn't really support the "recursive" way of doing things
> at the moment, I find myself creating and moving around a lot of
> repositories indeed.  At least for me, it will be the difference
> between the following sequences of thought/action:
>
> <darcs put>
>
> "hmmm I want to put this repository on my server.  Now what was the
> command for putting a repository on a server?"
> darcs --help
> " yes, of course! put! "
> darcs put awagner at foobar.uiuc.edu:newrepodir
>
> <darcs get --put or darcs init --put>

I don't think these two are good alternatives to adding a put command.
I prefer adding support to "darcs push" for asking the user if the repo
should be created instead of failing with "_darcs/.. not found" and
adding a --create-repo option. When aliases are implemented "put"
could just be an alias for "push --create-repo".

> "hmmm I want to put this repository on my server.  Now what was the
> command for putting a repo on a server?
> darcs --help
> "Darn...  don't see a command, looks like I'll have to log into the
> server and do a get from server side, or ftp the files by hand..."
> ssh awagner at foobar.uiuc.edu
> cd repodir
> darcs get

That one doesn't work when you can't connect back from the server to
the client, put should do something like this:
ssh awagner at foobar.uiuc.edu "mkdir repodir && cd repodir && darcs init" && \
darcs push awagner at foobar.uiuc.edu:repodir

> Still a bigger fan of a symmetric "darcs put" command instead of hiding
> important functionality in a subcommand.

Having too many commands is a problem too, having aliases solves some of
them if you can still do everything darcs can do with the "base" commands.
Then you only have to look at the descriptions of these aliases if you need
a shortcut for some functionality but not if you want to find out if it's
posssible at all.

Benedikt