[darcs-users] Do we want a 'put' command? (was: Re: "push" to create a new repository?)

Quag quaggy at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 01:27:16 UTC 2005

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 19:01:21 +0000 (UTC), Mark Stosberg
<mark at summersault.com> wrote:
> I vote 'no'. Get/Put isn't one of the frequently used commands,
> and there are other reasonably fast and intuitive alternatives, such
> as the init/push combo someone else suggested.

I vote 'yes'. My usage of darcs is frequently along the lines of:

(In a single session)

1. Start working on a little script.
2. Realise that I want to put it under version control, and do a darcs
init and record what I've done so far.
3. Do a few major changes and the resulting records.
4. Finish hacking for this session and want to add this repository to
my '~/darcshive' (a big directory that holds the 'master' repos.) This
currently requires me to |cd ~/darcshive; darcs get
~/the-Script's-Folder|.
5. For safe keeping then copy the script's repo onto my other
machine's ~/darcshive. |ssh otherMachine; |cd ~/darcshive; darcs get
originalMachine:~/darcshive/the-Script's-Folder|

If put was added, steps 4 and 5 would be simplified.

I tend to be creating lots of small darcs repos all the time, so for
me put is a frequent operation.

Jonathan.