[darcs-users] "push" to create a new repository?

Yuval Kogman nothingmuch at woobling.org
Sun Feb 20 07:27:38 UTC 2005

On Sat, Feb 19, 2005 at 10:11:10 -0500, David Roundy wrote:
> > > I think you want to pull instead
> >
> > I think he wants a new command called 'put', symmetric to get.
> >
> > If I understand darcs correctly push and pull are only about exchanging
> > patchsets. 'Get' on the other hand fetches a whole repository from
> > another source (not only the patchsets). So we would need some sort of
> >
> > darcs put
> >
> > to send a whole repository to another place.
>
> Hmmmm.  I don't like adding new commands, but a put command does seem like
> a reasonable addition.  I'd rather see some more discussion here on -users,
> though, before adding a command.
>
> To a native english speaker, put is pretty clearly the opposite of get, but
> to a non-native speaker, I'm not sure it's obvious, so it could add some
> confusion.  Having push, pull, get and put might be confusing to new users.
> On the other hand, pairing them up as in push/pull and put/get might make
> things clearer than they currently are.

What about deprecating get instead?

Synching two repositories that have already progressed:

	darcs pull
	darcs push

And although I prefer implicit initing,

	darcs pull --init
	darcs push --init

Could be used to also create. I would prefer to just be able to say

	darcs pull -a http://repo/blah

and have pull behave like get if a 'blah' does not exist.

The inconsistency I see with this, is that

	cd dir
	darcs get schema:foo

and

	cd dir
	darcs pull schema:foo

Have different semantics. Get will create 'foo' inside 'dir', and pull
will use 'dir' as the current repo dir.

I'd just like to add that I personally prefer that 'put' be added,
for verbosity goodness, and also that pull/push could implicitly
create by means of a flag. That's a "yes" from me too, anyhow.

 /\  kung foo master: MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM: neeyah!