[darcs-users] "push" to create a new repository?

Yuval Kogman nothingmuch at woobling.org
Sun Feb 20 07:32:10 UTC 2005

On Sat, Feb 19, 2005 at 21:47:58 -0600, Andrew Wagner wrote:

> On Feb 19, 2005, at 4:23 PM, Dave Roberts wrote:
> >
> >Either do it as get/put, to mirror pull/push, or change the command to
> >"copy" or something like that. In effect, whenever you get/put, you're
> >really just making a copy of that repository, right? If the syntax is
> >"darcs copy <source> <dest>" where source or dest can be a URL of
> >whatever type (file name, http, ftp, or ssh) for a repository.
> how about darcs replicate as a potential name if the combined command
> w/flag contingent gets their way?

I think this is too long. It'll probably be abbreviated to 'darcs
rep', in which case it will be even more confusing. 'repl' as an
abbreviation is as easy to type, and generally unambiguous, but I'm
still skeptical. 'get' and 'put' are 3 letter words with a very long
history. FTP uses them, the HTTP method is named like that...
Perhaps the only more common verbs for this task are "download" and
"upload", but I'm not sure they're a good idea, because they're too
generic.

 /\  kung foo master: *shu*rik*en*sh*u*rik*en*s*hur*i*ke*n*: neeyah!!!!