[darcs-users] tip:improving performance in files with massive amounts of changes

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Sun Feb 20 14:39:29 UTC 2005

There was recently a lesson learned from bug #222:

> I'm using darcs to hold my gnucash files and I have a very serious
> performance problem.

Indeed, I verified the performance was very slow, because GnuCash had
changed 1000's of lines.

In this case where another piece of software is controlling the changes
to the file, the user doesn't care about the detailed hunks, and always
wants to record them all.

Thus, having darcs consider the file is binary is a reasonable solution.
This makes the performance go from unreasonable to reasonable.

This tip is probably worth adding to the manual or wiki somewhere.

   Mark