[darcs-users] Conflicting patches

Lele Gaifax lele at nautilus.homeip.net
Tue Feb 22 23:08:27 UTC 2005

Hi all,

today I met a conflict that I'm not able to explain/resolve.  Please,
take this is also as plea to augment a little bit "darcs resolve"
documentation, since it's somewhat criptic, IMNSHO ;)

I have a repository, derived with tailor from an upstream CVS. In a
branch, some months ago I added a file, for the italian catalog. Since
it was still unfinished, I did not sent a patch (not that this makes
any difference, btw) and some other guy ended up with an equivalent
translation committed to the CVS.

Updating the tailored project I received the upstream patch, that
obviously conflicts with mine. Pulling the patch in the branch, darcs
said the usual "we have a conflict" message.

Inspecting, I found the following:

1) the actual content of the file isn't changed, it contains my own
   translation

2) doing a `darcs changes` on it I get::

    Changes to Archetypes/i18n/archetypes-it.po:

    Tue Jan  4 04:38:13 CET 2005  dtremea
      * Archetypes: changeset 3406
      Added Italian translation. Thanks to Mirto Silvio Busico.

    Tue Dec 14 00:44:55 CET 2004  lele at paci.nautilus
      * Added italian translation for Archetypes

3) a `darcs whatsnew` -s reveals::

    A ./Archetypes/i18n/archetypes-it.po

   confirmed by the absence of the file in the current (pristine)
   under _darcs/

4) cloning the repo I got no conflicts, but in the copy

  a) the file is still missing

  b) `darcs changes` shows both the patches above

If point 1 seems reasonable, neither the 2nd nor the 3rd make sense to
me. It seems as if the latest pulled patch caused an "unrecord" of the
other patch, and both are "unapplied" evenif listed under
_darcs/patches and present in the inventory...

Given that the latter version is somewhat more clear, I'd like to keep
going from there and integrate a few changes, rather that keeping my
version, the one currently in the file.

What are the right steps to go there? What is the role of "darcs
resolve" in this scenario? Given the repo described by point 4, how
can one of the patches "reapplied", in other word "confirmed"?

Thanx a lot for any clarification,
ciao, lele.
--
nickname: Lele Gaifax	| Quando vivrò di quello che ho pensato ieri
real: Emanuele Gaifas	| comincerò ad aver paura di chi mi copia.