[darcs-users] Re: [BK] upgrade will be needed

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Thu Feb 24 10:04:37 UTC 2005

Hi David,

> On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 06:18:02PM +0100, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:
> The mmap stuff really isn't an issue, since it doesn't eat up swap,
> and it always comes down to quite a small amount of memory relative to
> the total memory usage.

So if the memory isn't being grabbed by mmap() it must be by
brk()/sbrk()?

Perhaps, on Linux, just saving the contents of /proc/$darcspid/maps at
1Hz whilst darcs takes a minute to do its thing would give enough
information to find out what to monitor next.

I can't produce such data -- low bandwidth available.  If some's made
available I'll have a stab at summarizing what's there and it may be
useful to those that know lots about ghc's RTS.

Untested:

    darcs --hammer-machine-for-a-minute &
    pid=$!
    while kill -0 $pid; do