[darcs-users] dangerous options

Ketil Malde ketil.malde at bccs.uib.no
Mon Feb 28 09:58:09 UTC 2005

Hi all,

As a good darcs evangelist, I've convinced a colleague to use darcs.
He recently discovered an unfortunate issue, wanting:

   darcs rec --all

he accidentally typed

   darcs rec -all

Like many of us, he hadn't been overly conscientous in maintaining his
boring file, and thus he got tons of auto-generated junk silently
polluting his repository.

I'm not sure how this can best be solved in general.  Some suggestions
for this specific case could be

    * disallow the combination of -l and -a
    * warn/confirm when duplicate options are specified
    * warn/confirm when the single-dash options also match a long option
    * provide a way to disable -l (which many choose not to use)

I'm not terribly happy with any of these, but I think the lack of a
single dash an all too easy way to get repo pollution.

-kzm