[darcs-users] the two meanings of '--unified'

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Mon Jan 3 12:34:22 UTC 2005

On Sunday 02 January 2005 23:14, Mark Stosberg wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just ran into another darcs user today who, like me, what confused
> about the two means of '--unified'.
>
> For these commands:
>
>     whatsnew
>     send
>     annotate
>
>  "--unified" means "still in a darcs-specific format" but like "diff
> --unified"
>
> For the "darcs diff"
>
>  "--unified" provides a 'normal' unified diff.
>
> Do others think it's a problem that the same option means slightly
> different things? I expected "real unified diffs" to be prepared in all
> cases.

I don't see the -u doing anything different with the top 3 commands, so I
can't be sure.  But from your description isn't the option itself exactly
the same, the context in which they are used are different.

Just like "ls --recursive" and "diff --recursive" do very different things
even though they both do 'their' thing recursively, making the argument
being chosen correct.

--
Thomas Zander