[darcs-users] Re: Onto which other patches does a patch depend?

Erik Schnetter schnetter at aei.mpg.de
Tue Jan 4 00:33:39 UTC 2005

On Monday 03 January 2005 22:24, Mark Stosberg wrote:
> On 2005-01-03, Erik Schnetter <schnetter at aei.mpg.de> wrote:
> > I assume that I recorded some other patch later on that depends on
> > this patch.  What does "depend" mean?
>
> I think it means "requires the existence of to make sense".
>
> > How do I find out onto which other patches this patch depends?
>
> I believe discovering this a feature currently missing from darcs.

I found "darcs send -o FILE" which produces a thingy called "context".
This is basically what I was looking for.

In order to clean up my repository, i.e., in order to remove all traces
of the unlucky patch-that-should-never-have-been, I resorted to editing
this file manually, breaking it up into chunks, and then feeding it
piecewise into "darcs apply".  That worked surprisingly well.  Is that
documented somewhere?

For the record:

* The file has a checksum.  Editing the file invalidates the checksum,
obviously.  You can just delete the checksum, and darcs doesn't bother
any more.

* When you break up the file into two, then you need to add the patches
of the first part to the context in the second part, in reverse order.

* Deleting hunks or whole patches is easy.  Modifying hunks is evil.
Especially getting the line numbers correct is difficult, as earlier
hunks influence later hunks in the same file.  Is there a "--fuzzy"
option to "darcs apply"?

Is that what the "external merge tool" is for?  I kept the default
setting of not allowing any conflicts.  Would I have been happier with
such a merge tool?  Note that I don't want to resolve the conflict, I
want to modify the patch so that the conflict goes away.

(Yes, everything was in a local repository; no changes had left my
repository.  Had some of the changes left my repository, then I would
not have needed to delete all traces of the unlucky patch.)

- -erik

PS: Maybe much of my trouble could have been avoided by not queueing a
week's worth of patches in a single repository, but by using different
local repositories for different set of patches.  I would have had
trouble merging them, but the patches would not have depended on each
other, which seems to have been the root of the problem.

- --
Erik Schnetter <schnetter at aei.mpg.de>   http://www.aei.mpg.de/~eschnett/