[darcs-users] Re: Onto which other patches does a patch depend?

Tommy Pettersson ptp at lysator.liu.se
Thu Jan 6 02:23:43 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 01:15:36AM +0000, Mark Stosberg wrote:
> On 2005-01-06, Jamie Webb <j at jmawebb.cjb.net> wrote:
> > The problem I have with rollback is that you can't rollback a
> > depended-upon patch, even if the dependency has been rolled back.
[...]
> I agree this sounds like a bug
[...]
> ...and that it might be a pain to fix. :)

There is a workaround: Create a temp repo with 'darcs get
--to-patch roll_me_back' and rollback the patch there, which
will obviously succeed.  Then pull the rollback patch back.
If there were any real dependency problems, the pull will
cause some conflicts.  Just resolve the conflicts and be happy.

I once proposed a flag (like --force) to make rollback behave
like this.

My memory of the cons is: This is more like an automated
change set revert helper than the original intent of rollback.
For example, the patch name and description will be that of
the rollbacked patch (with UNDO prepended), whereas it would
be better to describe why the change was reverted.