[darcs-users] Re: conflicts again

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Fri Jan 7 17:16:22 UTC 2005

On 2005-01-07, Ketil Malde <ketil at ii.uib.no> wrote:

> I have two branches of my project which is converted (manually) from
> my old subversion archive.  One branch only contains a patch that
> removes Id-headers, the other branch contains a long string of
> patches, each updating the Id-headers in each modified file (You can
> see where this is leading, can't you? :-)
>
> Now, I'd like to pull the Id-deletion patch, but of course it
> conflicts massively.  I let it run all night, before I gave up.
>
> Okay, instead of whining about this, I want to know if there's a
> workaround; since the patch is pretty trivial to do manually, can I
> somehow fake it, so darcs thinks the same patch has been applied?

It's my understanding that conflicts happen because you are trying to
change the same line at the same time, but it's perfectly fine if the
same line is changed multiple times in sequence.

Following that logic, it should work to:

  - Delete (unpull) your "remove ID headers" patch.
  - Merge the branches
  - try removing the ID headers now.

...but perhaps I'm wrong. :)

    Mark