[darcs-users] discussing 'darcs unpull --tag' and best practices for a production rollback

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Sat Jan 8 17:17:10 UTC 2005

On Saturday 08 January 2005 15:54, David Roundy wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 08, 2005 at 03:01:38PM +0100, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > On Saturday 08 January 2005 14:12, David Roundy wrote:
> > > We could add a --to-tag or --from-tag flag to unpull (probably
> > > --from-tag/--from-patch), since this is a pretty common complaint,
> > > that it takes ages to unpull back to an older version.
> >
> > --to-date = "1 jan 2005" or similar would be my preferred argument.
>
> The catch is that the dates aren't necesarily monotonic (since the date
> is just the date a given patch was recorded), so a --to-date flag could
> lead to an ambiguous result.  Or I guess it could be interpereted
> unambiguously, but could simply leave the repository in a state that it
> has never before been in, which would be a potentially confusing
> situation (since presumably you wanted the state it was actually in back
> at the beginning of the month).

I'm aware that if a patch was recorded at the end of december, and only
pushed into this repo this morning, it would end up in the resulting tree,
even though thats not what the tree looked like at the start of the month.
The thing is; I don't know any other way to get to that tree without
manually unpulling, which will surely lead to inconsistent trees (Ill take
semi-automated systems over faulty human reasoning any day).

Next to that; I recently converted a 5 year CVS tree (6164 changes), any
idea how many duplicate patch-names there are?  Darcs is practically unable
to go to a date or release if there was no tag.  The only way is to
repeadedly unpull to untill you finally hit the right patch.

So I guess I'm asking for a feature here, and you may want to consider the
additional feature of placing an additional timestamp on imported patches
to mark the date a patch was added to the current tree. This allows solving
the problem you state above.

--
Thomas Zander