[darcs-users] performance help please?

Zooko O'Whielacronx zooko at zooko.com
Sat Jan 8 20:04:43 UTC 2005

It takes several minutes to pull a single patch from my Linux
(Athlon64) workstation to my Mac (G4) laptop over a wireless link.  I'm
guessing that this time is proportional to the number of patches in the
repo -- 693, and that darcs is fetching each patch name and checking.

Question 1: surely it isn't doing 693 round-trips, is it?  I do hope it
is parallelizing and sending 693 successive requests and then waiting
for 693 replies to come back over the ssh channel.

Question 2: can I do some kind of tag, optimization, partial checkout
or something to avoid this slowdown?  I've already tried those three
things actually.

3:  I could be completely wrong about my diagnosis.  All I know is that
it goes slower and slower, and nowadays takes several minutes to fetch
any patch, and that "top" shows darcs using no CPU and ssh using some
CPU.

Anyway, I think I'm going to stop using darcs for this particular task
where rsync would (mostly) suffice...

Regards,

Zooko