[darcs-users] Darcs & symbolic links

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Fri Jan 14 11:36:13 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 09:00:51PM +0100, tnorth at bluewin.ch wrote:
> Of course I could use a script to check file changes and copy it into
> /var/lib/mysql using cron, but that's not the best way I think.
>
> What do you think about it ?

Why not make the file in /var/lib/mysql a symlink to the file in the darcs
repository?

Hard links won't work, since darcs breaks hard links when it modifies
files.

When support for soft links is added, the plan is for darcs to treat them
as soft links, and will not follow them.  One could add support for
following soft links, but I don't really like that idea, as it opens of
interesting possibilities for attacks once support for versioning soft
links is added to darcs.  Certainly, one can't allow darcs both to create
soft links and to follow them.  One would like to be able to feel safe
pulling from a potentially malicious repository without danger of creating
files in one's home directory (such as, for example ~/.ssh/allowed_keys).
http://www.darcs.net