[darcs-users] cryptic darcs error

Nimrod A. Abing nimrod.abing at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 02:14:55 UTC 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 18:37:29 -0500, Shawn Samuel
<stsamuel at post.harvard.edu> wrote:
> bash-2.05b$ darcs --version
> 1.0.1
> bash-2.05b$ darcs resolve
> No conflicts to resolve.
> bash-2.05b$ darcs check
> The repo is consistent!
> bash-2.05b$ darcs pull --verbose
> darcs-77450               |          1 kB |   1.6 kB/s | ETA: 00:00:00
> | 100%
> Fatal: Network error: Connection reset by peer

Just a wild guess, but it seems your SSH connection to your host where
you wish to pull from is disconnecting you prematurely. Try increasing
the inactivity timeout settings on your ssh server. I have experienced
this when pulling over a slow dialup connection. If you are pulling
from a machine connected via LAN or xDSL, then all bets are off.

> Pulling from "shawn at stsamuel.com:/home/shawn/repos/docs"...
> We have the following new (to them) patches:
> They have the following patches to pull:
> Wed Jan 19 16:55:10 Eastern Standard Time 2005  shawn at stsamuel.com
>   * work update
> Wed Jan 19 16:55:09 Eastern Standard Time 2005  shawn at stsamuel.com
>   * notes update
> Wed Jan 19 09:24:32 Eastern Standard Time 2005  shawn at stsamuel.com
>   * work update
> Wed Jan 19 09:24:31 Eastern Standard Time 2005  shawn at stsamuel.com
>   * notes update
>
> Fail: Error reading patch:
> Wed Jan 19 09:24:31 Eastern Standard Time 2005  shawn at stsamuel.com
>   * notes update

Yep, the last patch being read when your SSH session was cut short.
The error is probably caused by an incomplete or corrupt patch.

Or another possible cause of the SSH session timeout, from
http://stsamuel.com/whatisit.html:

Giant Head Statues is:
    * A quake 3 server

Were you playing Q3A while you were pulling from the darcs repository
on that machine? :)

HTH
--
_nimrod_a_abing_