[darcs-users] [1.0.1] darcs dist and tar

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Thu Jan 27 11:07:00 UTC 2005

Hi,

> > GNU tar is installed here under the name gtar. Currently, changing
> > the name of the tar executable used by darcs requires a search and
> > replace in Dist.lhs. Wouldn't it be nice  to have a --with-tar=
> > option for the configure script ?
>
> bzip2 is my personal preference for compressing tarballs and in some
> cases I create dists that are in zip format (or jar), so why not allow
> for runtime configuration of both `tar' and `gzip' and even allow
> passing command line options to both programs?

It's always struck me as wrong that darcs has this ability in the first
place.  I store sources under darcs.  I need those plus some extra
things to go into the tar.gz, e.g. ./configure.  The makefile generates
those extra things and knows about them, it's its job to produce the
tar.gz.  Storing generated files, like ./configure, under darcs is
wrong.

Sprinkle IMHO liberally.  But it seems a wart on darcs' UI.  Can it be
axed rather than let it grow with more options?

Cheers,

Ralph.