[darcs-users] [1.0.1] darcs dist and tar

Thomas Zander TZander at factotummedia.nl
Thu Jan 27 11:23:30 UTC 2005

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 11:07:00AM +0000, Ralph Corderoy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > > GNU tar is installed here under the name gtar. Currently, changing
> > > the name of the tar executable used by darcs requires a search and
> > > replace in Dist.lhs. Wouldn't it be nice  to have a --with-tar=
> > > option for the configure script ?
> >
> > bzip2 is my personal preference for compressing tarballs and in some
> > cases I create dists that are in zip format (or jar), so why not allow
> > for runtime configuration of both `tar' and `gzip' and even allow
> > passing command line options to both programs?
>
> It's always struck me as wrong that darcs has this ability in the first
> place.  I store sources under darcs.  I need those plus some extra
> things to go into the tar.gz, e.g. ./configure.  The makefile generates
> those extra things and knows about them, it's its job to produce the
> tar.gz.  Storing generated files, like ./configure, under darcs is
> wrong.
>
> Sprinkle IMHO liberally.  But it seems a wart on darcs' UI.  Can it be
> axed rather than let it grow with more options?

Many people don't use the configure toolset and the files they ship are
indeed the files that dist creates. (next to that; many packages are
shipped without a configure and just the .in/.am files)

I really like this feature.

Ralph; you might want to build your shipment script to start with a 'darcs
dist' and then add files like configure with a simple tar update command.

--
Thomas Zander