[darcs-users] announcing darcs 1.0.2rc2

David Roundy droundy at abridgegame.org
Thu Jan 27 13:12:21 UTC 2005

What happened to darcs 1.0.2rc1, you might ask?

I had 1.0.2rc1 tagged yesterday, but then had to go to work before I could
tar it up and available for download from darcs.net.  Then Will sent in a
fix for handling of in win32 situations where there are spaces in temporary
filenames--it's a relatively rare bug (doesn't affect most commands), but
the fix is trivial and safe, so I decided rather than announcing 1.0.2rc1
and waiting with that fix in the queue, I'd skip straight to 1.0.2rc2.
Which is probably more than you need to know about how I spent the last 24
hours.

There are a number of moderately serious bugs that have been fixed since
1.0.1.  Ian found and fixed a bug that caused mime decoding to fail, which
could cause procmail scripts that apply signed darcs patches to fail.
True, you could work around it by decoding them with mimedecode, but that's
ugly.  There was a bug in the merger commute code which in certain sorts of
conflicts (which should be very rare) could cause repository corruption.
There was also a bug that caused a local get from a repository owned by
another user (i.e. where you don't have write permission) to fail.  Those
were the three most annoying bugs (read: bugs that affected me) in 1.0.1.
There were numerous minor bugs also fixed.

As for new features, there's not much here.

Karel added the --set-scripts-executable flag, which sets the executable
bit on files based on whether they begin eith "#!".  It's a nice new, and
isn't the default, so many of you will want to add it to your
_darcs/prefs/defaults, or even ~/.darcs/defaults.

Juliusz contributed a couple of optimization features: an optimize --relink
command, and flags to support the creation of darcs repositories which
don't have a "pristine tree" (the new name for _darcs/current/).

I'm optimistic that this release candidate will be sufficiently bug-free
that I can release it as-is as darcs 1.0.2, so please try it out and make
sure it works for you.  I'd especially like for darcs packagers to make
sure that their packaging will work with this new release.
http://www.darcs.net