[darcs-users] Does darcs support FTP?

Dave Roberts ldave at droberts.com
Fri Jan 28 22:20:31 UTC 2005

I just started using darcs in earnest last night and I'm loving it
already. First, I installed it on my linux box. Everything is working
great. I just downloaded the Windows version for my laptop this
afternoon. It seems to be working good, too, except... ;-)

I'd like to be able to us darcs on my Windows machine to push/pull
patches from my linux box. Right now, I only have FTP enabled on the
linux system, and no anonymous FTP for security reasons.

What I'd like to be able to do is give darcs an FTP url and have it do
the right thing, similar to what Arch would do. Here's what I'm trying
to do, and it doesn't seem to work on either Windows (which is really
where I need it to work) or Linux (on which I did some random commands
to try to figure out if this was a problem with darcs itself or my usage
of it--I'm still hoping for the latter). Basically, I'm trying to use a
standard FTP url with username and password syntax:

darcs get -v ftp://dave:password@192.168.1.12/home/dave/business

On Linux, I get:
Bad repo directory: ftp://dave:password@192.168.1.12/home/dave/business

On Windows I get:

darcs failed: Failed to download URL
ftp://dave:password@192.168.1.12/home/dave/business/_darcs/inventory
libcurl error code: 9

I pulled up the docs on libcurl and under its listing of errors it says:

CURLE_FTP_ACCESS_DENIED (9)
We were denied access when trying to login to an FTP server or when
trying to change working directory to the one given in the URL.

If I just use my user name, without my password, I get error code 10,
which is:

CURLE_FTP_USER_PASSWORD_INCORRECT (10)
The FTP server rejected access to the server after the password was sent
to it. It might be because the username and/or the password were
incorrect or just that the server is not allowing you access for the
moment etc.

So, I'm confused. It looks like at least on Windows it's trying to use
FTP to do its thing but for some reason it isn't getting the password in
there correctly. I know the password is right, but it does contain a
period (I have obviously just changed it to "password" in the stuff
above). I don't think I have to do any URL escapes on that, do I? On the
other hand, the error message on Linux makes me wonder whether it's
actually even trying to access things via FTP?

Please help.

--
Dave Roberts <ldave at droberts.com>