[darcs-users] Re: Does darcs support FTP? (Yes)

Dave Roberts ldave at droberts.com
Sat Jan 29 04:41:00 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-01-29 at 00:58 +0000, Mark Stosberg wrote:
> On 2005-01-28, Dave Roberts <ldave at droberts.com> wrote:
> >
> > What I'd like to be able to do is give darcs an FTP url and have it do
> > the right thing, similar to what Arch would do. Here's what I'm trying
> > to do, and it doesn't seem to work on either Windows (which is really
> > where I need it to work) or Linux (on which I did some random commands
> > to try to figure out if this was a problem with darcs itself or my usage
> > of it--I'm still hoping for the latter). Basically, I'm trying to use a
> > standard FTP url with username and password syntax:
> >
> > darcs get -v ftp://dave:password@192.168.1.12/home/dave/business
>
> Try using some environment variables to give darcs some hints.
>
> See the docs for DARCS_WGET and DARCS_GET_FOO.
>
> You can probably define 'DARCS_GET_FTP' to do what you want.
>
> http://www.darcs.net/manual/node5.html#SECTION00520000000000000000
>
> If you use 'DARCS_MGET_FTP', you may even able to download multiple patches at
> once!

Thanks for the pointer. I read the manual entries, but I'm still not
sure how I would configure this to fix my problem, particularly on
Windows.

For instance, when I want darcs to do its thing with an ftp URL, what
would I set DARCS_GET_FTP to? Windows doesn't have wget or curl as
separate executables. It looks like the Windows version is already
calling libcurl, so what more is there to do? Are there particular
options that I should be using??

I guess my question now is, when you say "...give darcs some hints,"
what are you referring to? What hint am I trying to give it?

Given that it looks like it's already calling libcurl, my conclusion is
that the problem must be one of:

1. libcurl doesn't like the URL format I'm providing it. I don't think
libcurl has a problem here as the documentation seems to suggest that it
works just fine with URLs of the format I have supplied.

2. darcs is maybe messing with the URL before it passes it to libcurl.
Does darcs do any more processing on the URL than to simply hand it
over? If so, what does it do?

3. Maybe I'm doing something stupid and have mis-formatted something.

Secondly, even on Linux, I'm very unclear as to the role of DARCS_WGET
vs. DARCS_GET_FOO. The description of DARCS_WGET says:

"The DARCS_WGET environment variable defines the command that darcs will
use when asked to run wget. Note that wget, curl, and libcurl is how
darcs accesses repositories whose URL is of the form http://foo.org:foo
or ftp://foo.org:foo."

Okay, so exactly when is darcs asked to run wget? I certainly don't ask
it to. I just give it a URL. Further, even in this paragraph, it makes
no sense. Does DARCS_WGET control a command for wget, specifically, or
do I use it to call curl? If so, is it misnamed?

And when I supply either an http:// or ftp:// URL, which environment
variable is controlling what happens, DARCS_WGET or DARCS_GET_FOO? They
seem to conflict.

Confused,

--
Dave Roberts <ldave at droberts.com>