[darcs-users] Patches dependency discovery

Leif Frenzel himself at leiffrenzel.de
Fri Jul 8 11:08:59 UTC 2005

> It would be nice. One problem with your interface though: dependencies
> are a DAG, not a tree. Patches can have multiple 'parents'.
That should not necessarily be a problem. Patches could occur in more
than one place in the tree (they must be checked/unchecked in step of
course, which is something the UI has to ensure).

>>  The soultion (if one exists) shouldn't be much time consuming (in
>>terms of darcs).
>

> This is the catch. It might be best to design the interface such that
> you can avoid having to calculate the entire graph in one go. When
> cherrypicking, users are typically only going to be interested in
> certain subgraphs.
On the other hand, presenting all relevant information at a glance would
be one advantage of a UI over the linear interaction the user has to go
through with the command line client.

Maybe we could handle this lazily. We could compute the subgraphes for a
node only when the node is actually expanded. Initially, all nodes are
collapsed. The user can expand the nodes that he is interested in, and
check them as he likes. Once the branch is expanded in the UI, we would
have to re-compote the visible part of the tree of course, and with
every click the user does.

Ciao,
Leif