[darcs-users] Patches dependency discovery

Jamie Webb j at jmawebb.cjb.net
Fri Jul 8 12:22:25 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 01:08:59PM +0200, Leif Frenzel wrote:
> >It would be nice. One problem with your interface though: dependencies
> >are a DAG, not a tree. Patches can have multiple 'parents'.
> That should not necessarily be a problem. Patches could occur in more
> than one place in the tree (they must be checked/unchecked in step of
> course, which is something the UI has to ensure).

But doesn't that destroy the point of having a tree? I'm presuming
that the parent-child relationship is supposed to mean: if I pull the
parent, I can the pull the children. Since it's a DAG, it would
actually mean: if I pull the parent, I might also be able to pull the
children, if I can find and pull all the other parents of that child.

Inverting the tree may help. Now we have: I can pull the parent iff I
pull all the children. You could either have only the 'leaf' patches
at the top level, or all of them. I prefer the latter since it makes
it easier to find a particular patch.

-- Jamie Webb