[darcs-users] Patches dependency discovery

Radosław Grzanka radoslawg at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 17:34:49 UTC 2005

On 7/8/05, zooko at zooko.com <zooko at zooko.com> wrote:

> > > That is, I imagine the typical use case to be 'I want to pull patch X,
> > > and need to know which other patches I have to pull as well'.
>
> > That may be the typical case for push, where I know which patches are in
> > the list in advance (because I have recorded them). For pull, I get a
> > list from the repo, and I don't think it is the typical case that I
> > already know that list and know which of the patches in the list I want
> > to pull.
>
> It *is* the typical case for me.  I very rarely pull from a repo in order to
> see what's there.  Usually I'm pulling from a repo that I already know what's
> there, either because it is another repo of mine, because I was just looking
> at it over the shoulder of my co-worker, or because I just did a
> "pull -v\nwwwwwwww" to see what was there.

you could do "darcs pull -v --dry-run" to see that ;)

Anyway, this may be usuall things for you, when you are in close touch
with all project developers which cat push action to the repo. But for
larger projects you may want to examine all the patches that are on
remote repo.
I agree though that usuall action is "darcs pull -a".

> To be clear, for me there are two very common uses of pull and one uncommon use.
> The two common ones are: 1. pull all (and usually examine each patch as it goes
> past), and 2. cherry-pick a patch or a small set of patches that I already know
> is there (possibly changing my mind if it turns out that the patches I want
> depend on some patches that I don't want).  The uncommon case is 3. pulling when
> I don't know what is there and cherry-pick a patch upon seeing it and deciding
> I want it.  I've done case #3 only a couple of times (when updating my darcs
> from the official darcs darcs repo).

Agree, nevertheless support for #3 is nice to have feature and it is
not so different from #2.

Cheers,
  Radek.

--