[darcs-users] Patches dependency discovery

Tristan Seligmann mithrandi at mithrandi.za.net
Fri Jul 8 16:57:46 UTC 2005

* Jamie Webb <j at jmawebb.cjb.net> [2005-07-08 14:31:18 +0100]:

> On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 02:40:15PM +0200, Leif Frenzel wrote:
> > the tree representation would look like
> >
> > A - B - C
> >   - D - C
> >
> > suppose you select B in the UI, this would automatically select A, C and
> > D go unselected. If you select C, then A, B and D would be selected with
> > it (even if the entire D branch was collapsed and not visible to the
> > user so far; we should automatically expand it in that case).
>
> That's bad. If I select C and then change my mind, I have to figure
> out which additional patches suddenly became ticked and untick them.
> That defeats the exploratory nature of good UI design. Either that or
> it starts getting more complicated with an 'undo' button, etc.

Just have tristate checkboxes; all checkboxes start in a sort of
"indeterminate" state whereby they are not selected unless a dependency
causes them to be. Clicking on C would set C to the selected state, and
now A, B, and D would be "temporarily" selected, but still in the
"indeterminate" state. You can then deselect C, and return to the
original situation.