[darcs-users] Trouble after cvs2darcs

Jean-Louis Leroy jll at soundobjectlogic.com
Mon Jul 11 15:08:53 UTC 2005

Hello,

first a word of introduction. We've been using BitKeeper for a while
then you know what happened ;-) Darcs is the most seducing alternative
I've found. I've used the BK->CVS converter then cvs2darcs to import
two of our repositories: mash and t3.

I have problems doing a `darcs get` over scp. But first over the local
filesystem:

[jll at toots jll]$ darcs get /usr/share/darcs/mash
Copying patch 1 of 490...[...]...Copying patch 490 of 490... done!
Finished getting.

...looks fine but:

[jll at toots jll]$ cd mash
[jll at toots mash]$ darcs check
Error! Duplicate patch name:
Thu Jul  3 19:25:09 CEST 2003  jacques
  * MASH 2.1

Now let's try the scp transport:

[jll at toots jll]$ darcs get toots:/usr/share/darcs/mash
Applying patches to the "working" directory...
...[...].....Unapplicable patch:
Thu Jul  3 19:25:09 CEST 2003  jacques
  * MASH 2.1

darcs failed:  Unapplicable patch!

...yes I know that there isn't much point in scp'ing from here to here
but I tried that after a failed attempt at pulling the repository to
my laptop over the internet. In order to rule out version issues, I
tried the test above.

'toots' runs Red Hat 9, since I couldn't find RPMs I had to build
darcs myself from the 1.03 sources. I get the same problem when I
`darcs get` from my 'boby' laptop where I've been able to use the RPMs
(boby runs Fedora Core 3).

Let's try the http transport as well. I copied my repository to 'jimi'
which runs a Apache server.

[jll at toots jll]$ darcs get http://jimi/darcs/mash

...same result: unapplicable patch.

The other repository ('t3') has another set of symptoms:

[jll at toots jll]$ darcs get http://jimi/darcs/t3
Copying patch 1 of 1...Copying patch 1 of 1... done!
Applying patches to the "working" directory...
..
Finished getting.

...only one patch? Let's see...

[jll at toots jll]$ cd t3
[jll at toots t3]$ darcs check
The repo is consistent!

...and the content of the resulting repo seems fine. Let's try over
the local filesystem:

[jll at toots jll]$ rm -fR t3 ; darcs get /usr/share/darcs/t3
Copying patch 1 of 1126...[...]...Copying patch 1126 of 1126... done!
Finished getting.

...looks good but:

[jll at toots jll]$ cd t3
[jll at toots t3]$ darcs check
Error! Duplicate patch name:
Thu Mar 17 17:45:33 CET 2005  toots.sol!kamel
  tagged 4239b42dzfMaRcMITiE5tGL4OtKDQQ

Can anyone help? Should I open a ticket on RT?
--
Jean-Louis Leroy
Sound Object Logic