[darcs-users] Re: darcs and source forge equivalent

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Thu Jul 14 14:04:58 UTC 2005

On Thursday 14 July 2005 14:55, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
> Yuval, Thomas thank you for your suggestions.  I do appreciate them.
>
> Yuval Kogman wrote:
>  > On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 00:22:11 -0400, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
>  >>are there any darcs friendly source forge equivalent sites out
>  >> there?
>  >
>  > Anything with SSH + webspace, arguably.
>  >
>  > You can ask sourceforge for more public space for your website, and
>  > then just make sure everyone's umask is 002, and then you guys can
>  > just commit to a darcs repo (or repos) in the public webspace.
>
> the challenge here is with integrity of the archive.  now maybe this is
> different with the Web space but the last time I used source for for
> this (IPCop wiki), we had major problems with unauthorized people
> deleting our site.

The http part is for public downloads; the ssh part for private uploads.
Nobody that does not have a ssh account can alter your site.

I do this on my sourceforge site; see:
http://uic.sf.net/_darcs/
where you can dargs get http://uic.sf.net
and if you are in the project (which , at unix level means in the right
group) you can write using ssh.
darcs push uic.sf.net/home/groups/u/ui/uic/htdocs/

> Thomas Zander wrote:
> > On Thursday 14 July 2005 06:22, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
> >>are there any darcs friendly source forge equivalent sites out there?
> >
> > Any webspace will do, really.
> > I have several archives on the webspace of my provider even though I
> > only have webdavs access.
> > I receive any contributions via email and patch my local copy.  After
> > that I update the public archive by uploading the new files in
> > _darcs/patches _darcs/checkpoints and as a last one _darcs/inventory
> >
> > Works like a charm :)
>
> I'm sure it does but I am not going to be a patch coordinator.  The
> person who is does not have their own mail server and has no interest
> in running a mail server.  Until we can start retreating patches via
> pop 3, this solution is rather narrowly focused.

The patches come in via my normal email program. See the darcs manual for
several methods to use sended patches and get them incorporated into the
archive.
I'm sure there is one for you.

> I was talking with some people on IRC last night and the SMTP based
> patch feed does have some charms in a source forge like environment if
> you assume that patch is only come from trusted people and do not go
> through some human process on the front-end.

The manual explains a pgp-signature approuch, among others. Please do read
the manual.

> but implicit in my original request was the need for the "whole
> enchilada".  Complete with mailing list, bug tracking, project Web
> presentation, release etc.  Even though I have the facilities for
> running my own source forge in my basement, sometimes I just want to
> spend my time enjoying how wonderful darcs is as I work on the project,
> not as I maintain the infrastructure.

I suggest the first setup I described at the top of this email.  Use
sourceforge and ssh.
Oh; I did place a darcs executable in my personal account homedir and
altered my .bashrc to put that in my path.  Just ask if you are stuck.

- --
Thomas Zander