[darcs-users] Re: darcs and source forge equivalent

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Thu Jul 14 16:54:07 UTC 2005

Thomas Zander wrote:
> Ehm; if you can't trust your project members to not push patches that are
> not correct, then don't make them project members.

the last time I tried (18 months ago) to use shell access, permissions
were messed up and anyone with a source forge account could modify
anywhere.  looking today, I see they have fixed things so your
suggestions will work.

> And for the off chance that you mean that every one of the 100000
> sourceforge users can change your site, then you are wrong; basic unix
> protections will dissallow that. Well, obviously you _can_ make things
> world writable, but that means you don't have a clue about security so
> don't blame the software :)

there are many circumstances other than cluelessness creating bad
permissions profiles.  Things such as arrogance and autocratic
administration are a couple motivators that come to mind.  Inevitably,
attempts to lock down security drive people to do the wrong thing.
Security is 90 percent human factors with technology supporting the
human factors making up the balance.  It's amazing how many folks forget
that.

> Really, it works just fine and the concept has so many possible workflows
> you can always find one that works for you.

yes it does.  Many of them are not friendly to handicapped people such
as myself.  But that is a different conversation.

thank you again for your assistance it is much appreciated.

---eric