[darcs-users] Enforce, or propose, prefix etc. for patch name?

Albert Reiner areiner at tph.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Jun 1 13:30:46 UTC 2005

Hi,

it seems that patch naming conventions are quite important in darcs
(which is again something I like).  But this comes with some problem,
viz., the danger of accidentally violating that naming convention.
The fact that patch names are part of the identity of the patch (which
precludes re-naming) doesn't make things easier.  E.g., in one repo I
have marked some patches with [lik] and some with [likning] even
though all of them refer to the same (nasty) entity.

So I am looking for a way to compensate for my lack of discipline.
What I would like is some way to make sure that, e.g., patches
recorded from a particular repo always have those markers, or, better
still, to be asked about which markers I want to have.

One way to achieve this that I would find convenient is an optional
file under prefs (with the option of putting it, too, under version
control): if it is there, every non-blank line in it should be
considered as a format string to be applied to the patch name typed by
the user; and after entering the patch name a menu should come up
listing the available format strings and asking which one to apply, or
to use the patch name as entered.  If there are no format strings (or
the file is missing), that question should be skipped.

I have not seen anything like this in the 1.0.2 docs, but I may well
be missing something.

Regards,

Albert.