[darcs-users] Enforce, or propose, prefix etc. for patch name?

Albert Reiner areiner at tph.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Jun 1 16:08:34 UTC 2005

Thanks for your suggestion:

[zooko at zooko.com, Wed, 01 Jun 2005 10:38:30 -0300]:
> You could add this feature by having the EDITOR environment variable
> point to a script that prompts for the tag, as you described, and
> then inserts it into the logfile before invoking the actual editor.

That would not work (for me, at least), as EDITOR is only called for
the "long comment", which I use rarely.  Virtually all of my patches
just have a single line description.  The main reason why I have not
set --skip-long-comment by default is the not-too-rare case of
forgetting about the lack of readline support and messing up that
string with some attempted movement commands.

> I'm not sure where your script could find that logfile.

There is a --log-file option to `darcs record`.

> Long Live the Unix philosophy of loosely-coupled tools!

I'm not sure - personally I _like_ darcs.  Even though its interactive
nature defies the easy scriptability that lies at the heart of this
Unix "philosophy".

Thanks again,

Albert.