[darcs-users] Re: Where Arch is going

Karel Gardas kgardas at objectsecurity.com
Wed Jun 1 18:53:58 UTC 2005

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, John Goerzen wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 07:23:12PM +0200, Erik Bågfors wrote:
>> On 6/1/05, John Goerzen <jgoerzen at complete.org> wrote:
>>> Incidentally, this bazaar-ng tutorial seems strikingly similar to darcs
>>> in some areas, right down to bzr send...
>>>
>>> http://www.bazaar-ng.org/tutorial.html
>>
>> Of course, the whole idea of bazaar-ng is to take the best features
>> from darcs, arch, svn, etc and make something even better.  Darcs has
>> some really great things when it comes to easy to use and
>> collaboration over emails etc. Stupid not to use those ideas.
>
> Right.  But the reason I'm posting here is to get a feel for where darcs
> is headed down the road.
>
> Let's say that bazaar-ng is successful and implements all that is good
> about darcs.

Please also think about where will be darcs in this time when bazaar-ng
impoements current functionality. It seems darcs development is quite
alive...

> That would mean there is really no need for darcs any
> longer.

I'm afraid you're talking about ideal world and ideal SCM, which will
probably never happen. Why do you think we have all those O/S OSes around?
I think for the same reason we will have quite a load of SCMs in the
future with very slow "consolidation".

Cheers,
Karel
Karel Gardas                  kgardas at objectsecurity.com