[darcs-users] Re: Where Arch is going

Andrew Cowie andrew at operationaldynamics.com
Thu Jun 2 14:13:06 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-06 at 14:22 +0000, John Goerzen wrote:
> Incidentally, this bazaar-ng tutorial seems strikingly similar to darcs
> in some areas, right down to bzr send...

One little tidbit that seemed to be missing from this thread is that
Martin Pool commented quite frequently in favourable terms about Darcs,
and last I talked to him was indeed planning to incorporate some of its
more innovative features.

At the moment, Darcs comes closest to supporting the workflow that I
need, and is certainly blazingly easy to use.

Given Martin's objective (influenced by Havoc's writing on the subject)
of coming up with a tool that supports modern global open source project
workflows, [ie needs an authoritative centralized main line, needs
sensible branches BUT ALSO needs to support very disconnected operation,
and casual patch generation & submission], I have a suspicion that bzr
will end up rocking the house. If indeed it does a better job of
supporting a realistic model of open source development workflow, then
at some point it may well be compelling to move there.

<shrug>, We'll see. In the mean time, we have a mature, usable tool in
Darcs. All good.

AfC
Stuttgart

--
Andrew Frederick Cowie

Technology strategy, managing change, establishing procedures,
and executing successful upgrades to mission critical business
infrastructure.

http://www.operationaldynamics.com/

Sydney   New York   Toronto   London