[darcs-users] Re: how to redistribute darcs+Eclipse

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Jun 8 04:11:00 UTC 2005

    Ketil> I would then suggest that emails are sufficient, at least
    Ketil> from authors of relatively minor contributions

Unfortunately, current US copyright law means that there are _no_
minor contributions, unless $30,000--$150,000 statutory damages per
infringement (which might be construed to mean per version released,
for example) is minor.

Personally, I would take a countersigned PGP signature from a major
keyring, as (1) it would be a presumptive defense against deliberate
infringement---I tried to confirm the assignment---and (2) somebody
who tried to deny it would have to show that either the signature was
faked or stolen, or risk a perjury rap themselves.  I would also want
indemnification from the contributor.

IANAL, but I think the risk of statutory damages means you want to
take more than trivial precautions, and probably ask a real lawyer
unless you know the contributors well.