[darcs-users] Re: how to redistribute darcs+Eclipse

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Wed Jun 8 11:06:35 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 8 June 2005 07:46, Ketil Malde wrote:
> "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org> writes:
> >     Ketil> I would then suggest that emails are sufficient, at least
> >     Ketil> from authors of relatively minor contributions
> >
> > Unfortunately, current US copyright law means that there are _no_
> > minor contributions, unless $30,000--$150,000 statutory damages per
> > infringement (which might be construed to mean per version released,
> > for example) is minor.
>
> Well - I was sorta hoping that if David (or another maintainer) could
> show that we acted in good faith, and remedied the infringement
> (i.e. removed offending code) in a timely manner, that would be
> sufficient.  "Minor" would then be something that could be easily
> replaced or removed.
>
> It seems you're saying that if I create a patch and e-mail it to the
> list (but cleverly avoid mentioning any licensing) and the patch gets
> included, I can just wait around and collect?

Using the GPL this is all not really relevant; as soon as I _use_ the GPL-ed
application I agree to it (says so in the license) and as soon as I sent
out a patch it has to be under the GPL.  So this scheme can not happen at
all using GPL.
If, however, somewhere down the road my patch was relicensed to (for
example) the apache license, I have the right to sue. Yes.
I a copyright case the burdon of proof still lies with the one suing, but if
I assigned copyright to David, and David had no simple way to prove I did
so, he'd be bankrupt within a week due to the way these things tend to
work.
This is the reason why I said you need a paper signature and all that to
state the copyright transfer.  It has nothing to do with how you could
prove it in the end; it has everything to do with the problem getting
settled within days of the complaint.

Another fine example of why you want to use the GPL.

--
Thomas Zander