[darcs-users] The theory of patches

Juliusz Chroboczek Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr
Wed Jun 8 20:57:38 UTC 2005

Dear Antonio,

There are quire a few formalisations of patches possible; I know, for
one, that my mental image of what Darcs is doing is very different
from yours, and I know it's also very different of David's.

The only reason why a formalisation should be preferred to others is
that it allows one to make proofs.

Thus, I believe that we should refrain from adding another formalisa-
tion to the manual until we have one that is powerful enough to allow
a formal proof of the correctness of the Darcs model (not necessarily
of the algorithms used in Darcs, mind you).

                                        Juliusz