[darcs-users] Re: how to redistribute darcs+Eclipse

Ketil Malde ketil.malde at bccs.uib.no
Thu Jun 9 12:24:49 UTC 2005

Jamie Webb <j at jmawebb.cjb.net> writes:

>>     Jamie> "Therefore, by modifying or distributing the Program

>> Note that this is NOT a contract; you have no proof that the violator
>> accepted it.

> You don't have to sign something to make a legally binding agreement.
> As an extreme, there was a case here in the UK a few years ago in
> which three men made a purely verbal agreement

A verbal agreement is still an agreement.  It is an open question
whether shrink-wrap licenses "by doing this, you agree to that"
constitutes an agreement.

My understanding of the GPL is that gives a license to do some of the
stuff otherwise restricted by copyright law, on certain conditions.
You can disregard the license entirely, in which case the same rules
that apply to proprietary software will apply (i.e. no copying or
distribution).

-k