[darcs-users] Re: publishing repo with no working dir

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Sun Jun 12 02:32:28 UTC 2005

On 2005-06-09, Jani Monoses <jani at iv.ro> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have just tested an idea I haven't thought of before: publishing a
> repo by only uploading the_darcs directory of it.  This means going a
> bit further than darcs get --no-pristine, thus having no uncompressed
> and readily usable version of the sources online at all.  I mainly did
> it for saving bandwidth and upload time not so much for disk space
> (16M _darcs only vs 94M full)
>
> It seems to work, keeping up-to-date is I hope just a matter of
> rsyncing, but I am curious if anyone sees possible problems with such
> an approach.
>
> If this worked there could be a darcs push variant which created such
> non-working-dir, repository-only repos without the need for server
> side darcs as applying would not be needed.

Jani,

I think your idea is sound, as long as your careful about how you use
the repo. In the case where your publishing the repo to a web server, it
seems like a great solution.

Having the working directory is still nice in that case in case people
want to browse the files online, but that certainly isn't essential for
darcs usage.

    Mark

--
http://mark.stosberg.com/