[darcs-users] darcs hang: infinite recursion?

Felix Breuer felix at fbreuer.de
Sun Jun 12 13:06:17 UTC 2005

Hello everyone,

I have stumbled on a problem using darcs that I can neither resolve nor
produce a clear bug report for. Can anybody help?

I have two darcs repositories a and b. Whenever I try to pull the
patches from one to the other, darcs hangs at 100% CPU usage and
nothing happens (no conflicts are reported). I waited for a very long
time and had to abort the pull eventually. I suspect it entered some
kind of infinite recursion, but I cannot be certain, of course.

If you want to try it out yourself, the repositories are available
publicly:

  http://darcsbug.fbreuer.de/a
  http://darcsbug.fbreuer.de/b

_If_ this actually is a bug and not only a performance problem it might
be related to the following situation:

 * When b is branched from a, a contains a subdirectory www/
 * In a, www/ and its files are removed.
 * In b, new files are added to www/ and later on moved from www/ to doc/
 * At this point I tried to pull from a to b and from b to a. Both attempts
   failed.

I tried to construct a test case from the above description, but I
didn't manage to reproduce the hang. Darcs always returned and reported
conflicts. (Which is ok, but not really necessary in that situation, I
think.)

So, I am lost. I would appreciate any help!

Thanks,

Felix