[darcs-users] darcs hang: infinite recursion?

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Mon Jun 13 12:30:30 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 01:06:17PM +0000, Felix Breuer wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have stumbled on a problem using darcs that I can neither resolve nor
> produce a clear bug report for. Can anybody help?

Alas, I *can* help explain the scenario.  What you've run into is the
infamous O(2^N) behavior of darcs when it encounters certain sorts of
conflicts.  The code should eventually complete, but it's possible that our
sun will become a red giant before that happens (which would most likely
cause darcs to fail).  :(

The only solution is to lose some of the history, and rerecord some of the
patches.  This can be a royal pain if there are many interleaved and
interdependent patches involved.  If possible, unrecording the changes in b
that add the new files to www/ and then move them to doc/ would be the
simplest workaround.  If you have trouble working around this, speak up and
I (or even better, someone else--I'm a bit busy) will be happy help you
out.

I am in the process of working out a new formalism for handling conflicts,
but it'll be a while before it's finished.  On the plus side, I *am* making
progress, and have a nice framework for generating test scenarios upon
which to test my merge and commute code.
http://www.darcs.net