[darcs-users] darcs and the current working directory

Stefan Wehr mail at stefanwehr.de
Wed Jun 22 23:32:14 UTC 2005

Hi!

On Thursday 23 June 2005 01:22, Mark Lentczner wrote:
> >> I suggest that "darcs whatsnew" should behave like "darcs
> >> whatsnew .",
> >> the same for other relevant commands.
> >
> > Actually; I find this feature the best feature of Darcs and using
> > the '.'
> > for the one or two times I actually want only the current dir makes
> > sense
>
> I second!
>
> >> However, the filenames are still reported as relative to the
> >> toplevel of the repo not the dir you use in the cmd.
>
> I could see adding an option that controls how relative file names
> are output.  Or perhaps a command that just outputs the top directory
> relative to the working directory, or even just as an absolute path.
> Then scripts could first invoke that command, and then know that all
> darcs output is relative to *that*, not the working directory.

IMHO, the default should be to use the pruning directory as starting point for
file names. Not only scripts have problems with paths starting at the _darcs
dir, it's also very confusing for humans if executing "darcs whatsnew ." in a
subdirectory 'foo' results in filenames being reported as './foo/bar'
although 'bar' is a file in the current directory.

Cheers,
  Stefan

--
Stefan Wehr (formerly Heimann)