[darcs-users] "--log-file" or "--logfile"?

dagit at codersbase.com dagit at codersbase.com
Sat Jun 25 02:25:01 UTC 2005

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org> writes:

>     zooko> I keep finding myself writing "--log-file" and then getting
>     zooko> an error message and then having to correct it to
>     zooko> "--logfile".  The other commands that I'm using on the same
>     zooko> command line, such as "--delete-log" have a "-" separating
>     zooko> each English word.  I suggest "--log-file" for the same
>     zooko> reason.
>
> I wonder if it would cause practical problems if after the initial
> dash-pair, dashes were ignored in the names of long options.  zsh has
> long had something like that (at least when setting options from the
> shell prompt), ignoring various kinds of separators as well as being
> case-insensitive.

I think this sounds too much like defensive programming or some such.
I can also imagine people getting really confused when several
different things work.  "Hm...is --log-file different than --logfile?"
I think it is bad to have hidden ways of using the flags.

I agree with Zooko.  This should be changed to --log-file.

Jason